Forget dieting – focus on healthy living instead!
A few simple lifestyle changes in how we eat and in how much physical activity we do each day can prevent kilo creep – and help you avoid a lifetime of dieting.
- Keep healthy snacks close by – fresh fruit, nuts and low-fat yoghurt.
- Keep it simple. You don't need fancy, packaged snacks.
- Take more control if you buy food out – ask what the food contains and ask for less sauce, less cream, less spread, less cheese or oil etc.
- Remember that you don't have to eat everything on your plate.
- Reduce portion sizes. Most food servings are bigger than they need to be.
- Eat slowly and stop when you start to feel satisfied – not full. Young children are experts at this. They eat when they are hungry and stop when they've had enough.
- Try not to eat on the run or in front of your computer or TV screen. You'll be distracted and won't notice your body's signals that you've had enough.
- Have an afternoon snack so you don't arrive home starved at the end of the day and eat the first thing you can find.
- Don't mistake thirst for hunger. Have a glass of water first and if you're still hungry, eat.
- Any physical activity during the day is important. It keeps your metabolism working so you burn energy and fat.
See our Healthy living section for more information
Content update 27 April 2012